in

35 deportees from Kuwait have tested positive for COVID-19—GHS reveals

The 241 deportees from Kuwait have tested positive for COVID-19—-Dr Sarkodie reveals

35 deportees from Kuwait have tested positive for COVID-19—-Dr Sarkodie reveals

A total of 35 people representing 15.15per cent of the 231 Ghanaians who returned from Kuwait last weekend have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Ghana Health Service (GHS).

This was disclosed by the service on May 30 to update Ghanaians on the novel Coronavirus cases in the country.

The number had pushed the total confirmed positive cases to 7,881  with 2,841 recoveries, 36 deaths and active cases of 5,004.

The Director of Public Health of the service, Dr Badu Sarkodie on Thursday revealed that some of the deportees had tested positive for COVID-19 during a press briefing in Accra.

According to him, they have tested positive for the virus but failed to mention the number that were infected by the respiratory ailment and assured the public that the service would follow up on the test to give the accurate figure to the public.

“We are following up on the test. We have not finished with all the people they took samples from. There are indications that some of them are positive. We will follow up on these and when the reports are ready, we will share them,” he said.

This disclosure comes less than a week after the Director for Media and Communication for operation COVID-19 Safety, Osei Bonsu Dickson, in a news report upon their arrival said all of them had tested negative to the virus following a test before their departure to Ghana.

“They needed to be taken through serological test, and that took place in Kuwait and all of them tested negative,” he reportedly said, adding that they would be tested again when quarantined.

The deportees arrived on Saturday from the Gulf State, where they lived illegally until the Kuwait government in consultation with their Ghanaian counterparts, agreed to deport them via a chartered flight.

Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah told journalists last week that government granted a special permit in their admission in line with immigration and health regulations to prevent a threat to the Ghanaian population.

The deportation came at a time when the country’s borders remained closed to human travel as part of international travel restrictions under Ghana’s COVID-19 Response Programme to avert the importation of the disease.

They were the first batch of Ghanaians resident abroad who had applied to be brought back home following international border restrictions to contain the pandemic.

Asked to confirm that some members of parliaments had tested positive for the virus following their mandatory testing, Dr Sarkodie said he did not have official information on the matter.

BY JOYCELINE NATALLY CUDJOE

Source: www.spotonnews.net

What do you think?

Written by Joyceline Natally Cudjoe

I am An Entertainment Columnist, Content Writer, Blogger, Novelist, Poet, and a Publicist.

Alhaji Muntaka calls the 'House' untruthful for concealing 15 COVID-19 cases in Parliament from Ghanaians

Alhaji Muntaka calls the ‘House’ untruthful for concealing 15 COVID-19 cases in Parliament from Ghanaians

Abeiku Santana is 'unethical' for shading my brand as 'demonic'---Patience Nyarko cries for objectivity 

Abeiku Santana is ‘unethical’ for shading my brand as ‘demonic’—Patience Nyarko cries for objectivity