Health minister discharged from his resting abode at UGMC

Health minister discharges from his resting abode at UGMC

Health minister discharged from his resting abode at UGMC

The Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu has been discharged from the University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) after a week of receiving COVID-19 treatment at the centre.

This was disclosed by the Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah during a press briefing in Accra on Monday.

He revealed that he spoke to Mr Agyeman-Manu and he told him he was currently responding to treatment at home.

Earlier in a post on Facebook, Mr Agyeman-Manu expressed appreciation to the president for his well-wishes after he was infected with Covid-19 in the line of duty and was hospitalised last week.

“I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to the President and all Ghanaians for your well wishes and prayers. By the grace of God, I am responding to treatment,” he said.

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo during his 11th address to the Nation on the fight against Covid-19 confirmed that the Minister had been infected with the disease and wished him speedy recovery.

“Let us wish our hardworking Minister for Health, Hon. Kwaku Agyeman-Manu, MP for Dormaa Central, a speedy recovery from the virus, which he contracted in the line of duty, and is in a stable condition,” Nana Akufo-Addo urged.

Mr Agyeman-Manu who was one of the key men at the forefront in Ghana’s fight against Covid-19, has not been seen in public since the regular Minister’s Media Briefing on the Covid-19 last held on May 28.

Since then, no briefing had been held and the situation had given rise to speculations that he had tested positive for Covid-19.

However, the Ministry of Health said the minister had taken some days off and was yet to resume work.

The confirmation of Mr Agyeman-Manu’s status makes him the third government official to have been confirmed to have contracted the infection, after the Mayor  Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Assembly (STMA), Mr Anthony Kobina Kurentsi Sam, and Ghana’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Papa Owusu-Ankomah.

Unfortunately, Mr Sam passed away at the UGMC last Friday, where he had been on admission, after being referred from the Effia Nkwanta Hospital.

He succumbed to the infection from an underlying health condition.

Papa Owusu-Ankomah was the first high-profile government official to have confirmed testing positive for the infection.

He tested positive in London and was admitted at an ICU on April 10 but recovered and resumed work on May 12.

Last Thursday, the leadership of Parliament expressed concern over the refusal of some members to go into quarantine after testing positive.

The Majority Leader, Mr Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu, had told the House that the medical team of COVID-19 was frustrated in getting those who had tested positive to go into self-isolation after they had communicated the outcome of their COVID-19 tests.


Written by Joyceline Natally Cudjoe

I am An Entertainment Columnist, Content Writer, Blogger, Novelist, Poet, and a Publicist.

You want to set history by sending me to my early grave---Kennedy Agyapong exposes Prophet Gaisie over assassination attempt

You want to set history by sending me to my early grave—Kennedy Agyapong exposes Prophet Gaisie over assassination attempt

Develop telemedicine tools to supplement COVID-19 healthcare delivery---Ex President Mahama

Mahama gains ancestral support to battle Nana Akufo-Addo as chief offers prayer for him at cemetery