41 foreigners evacuate into the country….residents scared for surge in COVID-19 case
About 41 Ghanaians who were in the United States of America (USA) have arrived in the country.
They arrived yesterday morning around 9:20am at the Kotoko International Airport.
Media has it that majority of them were students who went on an exchange program sponsored by the State Department of the US.
The evacuees have been checked into a hotel in Accra, as they began a two-week mandatory quarantine.
Meanwhile, two more contingents from Burkina Faso, Turks and Caicos were expected to arrive later.
“The exchange program was supposed to be for 10 months. So we were supposed to come back on June 8, but we left our various states on June 3 and then we went to the USA to stay overnight and then we left,” one of the students said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration had already announced plans by the government to evacuate stranded Ghanaians from foreign countries.
The sector Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway said Nigeria, Mauritania, Ethiopia, China, United States of America, United Kingdom and UAE are some of the countries captured on the schedule.
She said negotiations were ongoing to evacuate some 675 Ghanaians who are currently stranded in China.
However, residents of the country expressed dissatisfaction about the arrival of the evacuees due to the surge in the COVID-19 cases.
They said more lives were at risk since the people keep coming into the country.
Janet Asmah bemoaned that the Ghanaian deportees from Kuwait who did not test positive later turned positive and the more positive cases the country count the more citizens at risk, irrespective of them being quarantined.
She decried that most of the cases either show mild or no symptoms at all and urged the government to act fast to secure lives and livelihoods.
BY JOYCELINE NATALLY CUDJOE