NEWS

Ukraine frees hardened ex-military convicts to face Russian rebels

Ukraine frees hardened ex-military convicts to face Russian rebels

Former military personnel who are convicted and detained have been released to defend Ukraine in its effort to fight off the Russian aggression.

This was revealed by Ukrainian Prosecutor Andriy Syniuk from the General Prosecutor’s Office of Ukraine to Hromadske.

According to him, the ex-military convicts willingly expressed the desire to use their experience as military personnel to support their country in winning the battle against the Russian rebels.

However, Prosecutor Syniuk said the authorities were putting in some consideration before releasing the military inmates.

“Law enforcement authorities are reviewing the inmates’ combat record, service to the nation, and sincere repentance,” he explained.

Among others, Serhiy Torbin, who was previously convicted for the attack on Kherson activist Kateryna Handziuk has already been released for combat duty.

Torbin was allowed to take another 10 people with him who he had personally selected from among the convicts.

Dmytro Balabakha, a former military staff of the 72nd Mechanised Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, convicted for the murder of a civilian at a public transport stop, was also released for combat duty.

Additionally, Ruslan Onyschenko, former commander of the Tornado Battalion, has appealed for release for combat duty, along with Semen Semenchenko, a former member of the Donbas Battalion.

Their appeals were under consideration. Meanwhile, the President of Ukraine,  Volodymyr Zelensky on Monday announced to release prisoners with combat experience to serve their debt to society on the front lines of the conflict with Russia.

Ukraine’s leader, who has gained plaudits from around the globe for his response to Russian aggression, said inmates would be able to ‘compensate for their guilt in the hottest spots’, in a presidential visual address.

“Under martial law, Ukrainians with real combat experience will be released from custody and will be able to compensate for their guilt in the hottest spots of the conflict,” President Zelensky said.

“We have taken a decision which is not easy from the moral point of view, but which is useful from the point of view of our defences.

“The key is now defence.”

President Zelensky also made an appeal to the European Union to grant his country “immediate” membership as part of a special procedure in the face of the Russian assault.

The Ukrainian leader – a former comedian who came to power in 2019 – released his latest video statement as Russian and Ukrainian negotiators prepared to sit down for their first face-to-face talks since Russian leader Vladimir Putin ordered troops to invade last Thursday.

“We appeal to the European Union for the immediate accession of Ukraine via a new special procedure,” the 44-year-old leader said in a new video address.

“Our goal is to be together with all Europeans and, most importantly, to be on an equal footing. I’m sure it’s fair. I’m sure it’s possible.”

He said 16 children had died during the first four days of Moscow’s assault and another 45 were wounded as he hailed ‘Ukrainian heroes.’

The United Nations’ (UN’s) human rights chief Michelle Bachelet said Monday that at least 102 civilians, including seven children, had been killed but warned the real numbers were probably far higher.

Source: www.spotonnews.net

Joyceline Natally Cudjoe

An Entertainment Columnist, Content Writer, Blogger, Novelist, Poet, and a Publicist. For business or story tip off, contact me on +233 24 646 6866 or email: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button